Inheritance and Wills Disputes
The loss of a loved one is an emotional and difficult time. Where there is a dispute about the estate it can cause considerable stress, not only for those directly involved, but also the wider family and friends. The last thing most people want to do is to then instruct lawyers, which may be the first time they have had to do that, apart from when buying a house.
We have extensive experience in dealing with the wide range of disputes that may arise, which are sometimes also referred to as contentious probate claims.
First and foremost, our approach is to provide clients with an understanding service, while being sensitive to their requirements. We strive to offer clear and focused advice, aimed at setting out the issues and resolving them at the earliest possible opportunity. We encourage the parties to engage in dispute resolution, but if litigation is necessary, we ensure clients have a clear understanding of the issues and the prospects of success, not only from their own position, but also that of the other parties.
Some of the typical issues that we advise on include:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 – if someone has been left out of a Will or has been left a nominal sum, when they expected to be left a greater share.
- The validity of a Will – there are strict requirements relating to making a valid Will, which can be easy to get wrong.
- How to contest a Will – understanding the grounds people have to contest a Will when they have concerns that something is not right.
- Someone has died without leaving a Will – knowing who can deal with the estate and who will inherit.
- The administration of an estate – if someone is concerned that the executors are failing to administer the estate or taking property that doesn’t belong to them.
- Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) disputes – when someone doesn’t think that the attorney is acting in the best interests of the donor.
We are always happy to have an informal, free initial discussion with you on a no-obligation basis. The Inheritance & Wills Disputes solicitors are available at our offices across the south and Thames Valley in Brighton, Gosport, Newbury, Portsmouth and Southampton. We can, where necessary, also arrange home visits.
For more information, please complete the enquiry form or call our team for free on 0808 196 9607.