Inheritance and Wills Disputes
The loss of a loved one is an emotional and difficult time. Where there is a dispute about their estate it can be incredibly stressful, not only for those directly involved, but also the wider family and friends. The last thing most people want to do is to then instruct lawyers, which may be the first time they have had to do that, apart from when buying a house.
We have extensive experience in dealing with the wide range of disputes that may arise, which are sometimes also referred to as contentious probate claims.
First and foremost our approach is to provide clients with an understanding and sensitive service, with clear and focused advise aimed at setting out the issues and resolving them at the earliest possibly opportunity. We encourage the parties to engage in dispute resolution, but if litigation is necessary, we ensure clients have a clear understanding of the issues and the prospects of success, not only their own position, but also the other parties.
Some of the typical questions that we advise on include:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975: I have been left out of a Will or have been left a nominal sum when I expected to be left a greater share.
- The validity of a Will – there are strict requirements relating to making a valid Will, which can be easy to get wrong.
- How to contest a Will? – what grounds do I have to contest a Will where I have concerns something is not right?
- Someone has died without leaving a Will – who can deal with the estate and who inherits?
- The administration of an estate – I am concerned that the executors are failing to administer the estate or taking property that doesn’t belong to them.
- Lasting power of attorney (LPA) disputes – I don’t think that the attorney is acting in the best interests of the donor.
We are always happy to have an informal free initial discussion with you on a no obligation basis. Please complete the contact us box on this page or call our team on 023 9236 4951, whichever is more convenient. Should you decide to instruct us members of our team can meet clients at our offices in: Brighton, Gosport, London, Newbury, Portsmouth, Southampton, Swindon, Wantage. We can, where necessary, arrange home visits too.