What insurance should I arrange when buying a home?

Posted on: February 8th, 2016

When purchasing a property it is important that you arrange the have the correct insurances in place.  Here’s our guide to the types of insurance that should be considered.  

House Insurance

From exchange of contracts, bricks and mortar cover should be in place for the rebuilding cost. While your Lender will not impose a condition on contents cover it is wise to have it in place.

If you are having a mortgage you will need to let your solicitor/conveyancer know if the cover is to be arranged by your Lender.

Your Insurance Company or Broker should fax information over to your solicitor/conveyancer as well as your Lender with the appropriate details of cover.

Life Insurance

Whether you are having an Endowment Mortgage or not you should be adequately covered in the event of premature death. If you are having an Endowment Policy or any other Policy or PEP/ISA you should make sure the Broker or Insurance Company advises your solicitor/conveyancer that such Policy is ready to go ahead and that you have been accepted and you should arrange for any such Policy to be brought into force on exchange of contracts.


On exchange of contracts, a legally binding contract exists and in the majority of cases, that contract places the responsibility for insuring a property on the buyer as of exchange and therefore where this is the case, cover must state on start on exchange.

This information is for general guidance only and should not take the place of a specialist solicitor or conveyancer’s advice.

For further information on moving home, please contact our residential conveyancing team on 023 8033 4661 or 023 9238 8021.

You can also read our Moving House – Frequently Asked Questions, for more information on moving home.