Associate Solicitor - Court of Protection
What's your role?
I am a Solicitor in the Vulnerable People and Court of Protection team. I have particular expertise in community care matters.
My role gives me the responsibility of looking after the welfare and safeguarding of the financial affairs of those suffering from mental incapacity because of learning difficulties, old age and mental illness or as a result of an accident or medical negligence.
I also assist clients with applications in the Court of Protection, so that families and friends may be appointed to manage the affairs of a loved one.
I advise on the wide range of services provided by social services and the NHS to help adults and children with health and social care needs. Challenging bad decisions can be a daunting prospect especially if you or a loved one is disabled or unwell. I assist clients in challenging such decisions, ensuring people receive the full support to which they are legally entitled.
I am conscious of the sensitive nature of our work and that we often encounter people at a very difficult time of their lives. It is important to me that people receive a personalised service that best meets their particular needs; making what can be a difficult process as straightforward as possible.
Prior to joining Coffin Mew I was the Lead Solicitor for Adult Social Services for a Local Authority in the South.
I have many years’ experience of community care law and advising in respect of those with a disability, mental capacity issues or caring responsibilities. This includes:
- Litigation in the Court of Protection on complex Health & Welfare and Property & Finance matters
- High Court matters including an international dispute about care responsibility
- Advising a Local Authority in the formulation of their charging policy and providing training to senior managers
- Disputes involving the NHS concerning the adequacy of care and discharge plans
- Court of Protection applications and litigation
- Mental capacity law and best interest decision-making
- Powers of Attorney and Deputyship
- Social Care/NHS finance and care disputes
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLS)
Which five words best describe you?
Three things we didn't know about you?
- I am an identical twin
- Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my partner and our Miniature Schnauzer dog called Brian
- I support AFC Bournemouth
Memberships & Associations
- Court of Protection Practitioners Association
A profound thank you for everything you achieved for us (more importantly, for Mum and Dad) in battling in our fight. It was a huge relief that we did not have to do it alone.