Partner - Head of Commercial Property
What's your role?
I lead teams advising clients across the region on real estate investment and finance (including pension investment and secured lending); commercial and residential development (including planning and construction); and general commercial property (including landlord and tenant).
Additionally, we work closely with our corporate and commercial, residential conveyancing and new homes, and property litigation teams, to provide the full range of real estate services, ranging from property joint ventures, to housebuilding and dispute resolution.
I also have particular expertise in commercial and mixed use development schemes for clients in the private and public sectors, advising on development, option, funding and infrastructure agreements; related freehold and leasehold acquisitions and disposals; and other related issues, such as restrictive covenants, easements, ransom strips and overage/clawback.
I like to get to know my clients, their businesses and their other professional advisors well and to become a part of their team, which enables me to provide long-term and strategic advice on their property projects and portfolios, as well as using my own network to introduce deals and other opportunities to them.
- Acting for international education group in relation to the acquisition and development of a new £30m college and student accommodation as part of a wider regeneration scheme comprising a hotel, offices, leisure units, flats and car park. Advised on development agreements, construction documents, leases and nomination agreements and dealt with complications arising from due diligence exercise.
- Acting for global systems and security company on consolidation of UK property portfolio and acquisition of new £20m headquarter premises. Advised on Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 procedures, dilapidations issues, agreements for leases, leases and licences for works. Particular complications arose due to the nature of equipment with which the client company deals.
- Acting for major lender in relation to security against a city centre site acquired for a mixed use development comprising new commercial and residential units. Advised on cross-collateralisation between a related partnership and company and their respective assets and the eventual release of security over part of the site so as to facilitate the development and subsequent sale of the proposed residential development site.
- Freehold and leasehold property acquisitions and disposals
- Property development (including development, option, funding and infrastructure agreements)
- Property finance and investment
- Commercial landlord and tenant
- Commercial property advice (including restrictive covenants, easements, ransom strips, overage/clawback)
Which five words best describe you?
Three things we didn't know about you
- I almost left school to train to be an Olympic gymnast (before a back injury stopped me)
- I once worked as an interpreter at a G7 Summit
- My cat appeared in a TV commercial
The West Pier Trust has been a client of Nick Leavey’s for the best part of a decade. He has seen through a complicated and at times frustrating deal on our behalf. The service he consistently provided was meticulous, wise and calm and led us to achieving an agreement which the Trust is very happy with. His reliable, sound advice supported us through some difficult negotiations. His knowledge of the law, perspective and reliability meant that the Trust could be absolutely confident that it was in completely safe hands. We look forward to a continuing relationship in the knowledge that he has a thorough understanding of the Trust’s complicated status and aims and will always support us to the best possible.
Rachel Clark, CEO, Brighton West Pier Trust