Partner - Head of Dispute Resolution & Insolvency and Business Recovery
What's your role?
I am a Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution and Head of Insolvency and Business Recovery.
I have extensive contentious commercial experience and act for clients in a wide range of commercial and corporate disputes. These include complex contractual and professional negligence claims, technology, cross border and international disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes and Intellectual Property disputes.
I also have experience in contentious insolvency disputes, director’s disqualification proceedings and contentious asset recovery cases. My experience includes working with individuals and companies around the world to protect and enforce their rights and assets, which necessitates regularly advising on risk and pre-contentious issues. I focus on providing practical, realistic and commercial advice.
I have represented clients in the High Court, in mediations, arbitrations, Judicial Review proceedings and alternative dispute resolution processes to achieve commercial and cost focused results.
My recent experience includes:
- Acting for a company involved in a £2 million breach of contract claim against a sport’s governing body. The case concluded at a summary judgment application in the High Court.
- Acting on a £1.5 million action for an international polymer engineering group against their international insurance brokers for failure to ensure that cover was in place during an acquisition in Europe.
- Acting for an international debt collection agency, based in London, in a breach of contract dispute with a US company for sums of £500,000 due on termination of its contract, settled by negotiation following mediation.
- Acting for a significant international investor in the Court of Appeal following an 8 week trial in the Commercial Court in relation to claims arising from £65 million bank fraud perpetrated by a convicted fraudster – the trial was one of The Lawyer’s Top Trials.
- Acting for an individual in a professional negligence claim against a solicitor in relation to ‘Land Banking’ and negligent advice following the purchase of a substantial piece of land for residential development.
- Acting for a number of directors in the defence of allegation pursuant to director’s disqualification proceedings, this included significant international valuation of company assets; forensic analysis of international company records and accounts; collaborative work with US and German attorneys and recovery of over drawn Director’s loan accounts in multi jurisdictions.
- Advising a Liquidator at trial in relation to a national corporate liquidation including advice in relation to various alleged preference transaction avoidance claims, voidable preferences, transactions at an undervalue and transactions defrauding creditors.
- Advising shareholders in relation to a derivative action in respect to the actions of company directors and various omissions in relation to accounting and purchase of shares.
- Acting for a company developing and supplying ring tones for mobile telephones in relation to allegations of breach of copyright and trade mark infringement in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, including worldwide injunctive applications.
- Advising investors and owners of a premier league rugby club in Judicial Review proceedings against the Environment Agency and other government bodies in relation to the development and substantial investment into the development of a stadium and facilities on a flood plain.
- Commercial and corporate disputes
- Intellectual Property and technology disputes
- Professional negligence claims
- Contentious Insolvency disputes
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
- Financial and banking disputes
- Injunctive relief and enforcement of restrictive covenants
All communication has been easy and any complex issues have been explained so that I can make informed decisions; I am sure we will continue our relationship with Coffin Mew in the years to come.
Thanks again for all your work on this; great job efficiently done.
I just wanted to say thanks on behalf of the company for all your help with this.
Thanks again Ian, will definitely be in touch with any other significant issues.