Trainee Solicitor - Court of Protection
What's your role?
I am a Trainee Solicitor in the Court of Protection team.
I graduated in 2014 with a First in Law and went on to achieve a Distinction on the LLM LPC, which I studied at the University of Law in Guildford.
I worked as a paralegal in the Court of Protection team at Coffin Mew before starting as a trainee and was pleased to return to the team for the second seat of my training contract. I have gained a broad experience during this time, including:
- Assisting partners at Coffin Mew who are appointed as deputy to make decisions on behalf of clients who lack capacity to do so themselves, including acting for the firm’s panel deputy in complex matters with ongoing family conflict
- Making applications to the Court of Protection for the appointment of Property and Financial Affairs and Health and Welfare deputies and specific issue orders
- Best interests decision-making and consultation with relevant parties such as family members, case managers, support workers and therapists
- Investigating allegations of financial abuse of vulnerable clients, particularly in cases where Lasting Powers of Attorneys have been revoked and the firm’s panel deputy has been appointed
- Ensuring that clients have access to the health and social care services they need
- Challenging community care decisions by public bodies
I have supported a wide range of clients, from individuals who have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of medical negligence or personal injury, to those suffering from mental illness or dementia. I enjoy spending time getting to know each client and their loved ones, which helps me to provide a personalised service tailored to their individual needs.
I was based in the New Homes team for the first seat of my training contract, acting for purchasers of new build properties. Undertaking a property seat was an invaluable experience and I developed my knowledge in all aspects of the conveyancing process.
Alongside work, I sit on the committee of the South Hampshire Junior Lawyers division and help organise social events for junior lawyers in the community.
Which five words best describe you?
Three things we didn't know about you?
- I am certified PADI advanced open water diver.
- I would like to run a marathon someday
- I am a big fan of travelling and trying new things