Partner - Corporate
T 023 9236 4051
M 07384 460564
Which five words best describe you?
Which five words best describe you?
What's your role?
For two decades I have advised clients in relation to transactions involving companies and other businesses. I act as a sounding for board for directors and shareholders and call upon colleagues with other specialist skills where necessary.
A large part of my practice is concerned with investments in to businesses, including private equity investment, and the buying or selling of shares and assets. I have a corporate finance background and been involved in many public admissions (particularly on AIM) and takeover work. Other areas of expertise include advising on constitutional and structural matters such as shareholder agreements, share options and partnership agreements.
Businesses are sophisticated and over the years company law has grown in volume and complexity to meet the evolving regulatory landscape. Part of my role is to help clients understand the law as it applies or may apply to them in a clear non-legalistic way and to help assess risk in a commercial context. On the transaction side, my role is both foreground in advising on deal structures, the deal terms and leading negotiation and also background, project-managing transactions bringing in colleagues with specialist skills, to make transactions happen. Anyone who has been through a company sale or purchase will know how much work and stress is involved in dealing with due diligence, making important decisions and also trying to run the business. We aim to make that process as painless as possible and, in any event, prepare our clients for what to expect. We also try and make the transaction experience as enjoyable (note the small “e”) as possible conducting ourselves in a modern and constructive fashion.
I do not claim (or aspire) to be the cheapest lawyer but strive to give great value. The firm offers a London style service but with fee rates that reflect the lower operating costs. We offer a range of transparent options on fees and welcome the discussion from the outset to avoid subsequent unpleasant surprises.
Examples of transactions which I have led (some at previous firm) which illustrate the variety of clients and sectors:
- M&A (buy side): Advised Flint Group on its purchase of Druckfarben, Sat-Insure on its acquisition of Satellite 4 U, the purchaser of a printing business, and the management buy out team of a PR business, with some transactions involving several jurisdictions.
- M&A (sell side): Advised shareholders in sale of large plant nursery to a national operator, advised sellers of several insurance businesses.
- Healthcare Sector: Advised clinician group in relation to a joint venture with a national group to fund, establish and operate a private hospital. Advised numerous buyers and sellers of residential care and nursing homes and domiciliary care businesses. Also advised banks on lending for care home purchases.
- Private Equity: Advised a growth fund on numerous early stage investments, and sellers of a medico legal reporting business and a chain of toy and model shops to private equity backed buyers.
- Corporate Finance: Acting for two companies which effected a reverse takeover in to an AIM company. Acted on several AIM admissions and secondary fund raisings.
- Early stage: Advising various clients (examples being restaurant and on-line lettings businesses) on early stage capital raising, including shareholder agreements and articles of association.
- Shareholder disputes: Interpreting partnership and shareholder agreements, advising on general meetings to remove directors and other strategic shareholder activity.
- Share Options: Various EIS, CSOP and other schemes.
Thanks to everyone for your patience, determination and hard work getting this deal over the line. I cannot speak highly enough of the effort you have all put in.
I was delighted to have worked with a great Corporate and Employment team at Coffin Mew in our merger with Vail Williams. Led by Hayley Bevis, the team was highly responsive and very thorough, delivering pragmatic, commercially focussed advice within a tight transaction timescale. A pleasure to work with.
Other Team Members
Senior Associate Solicitor
Partner - Commercial Property
Finance & Commercial Director
Legal Assistant - New Homes
Chartered Legal Executive - Residential Property
Related News & Insights
Economic outlook strong for the Thames Valley region
6th December 2018
Two studies published last week have both identified the...
New look Autumn/Winter magazine
15th November 2018
Read our new-look Autumn/Winter magazine to get some...
Legal Directory Success!
3rd November 2018
We are delighted to announce we have secured a number of...
International Expansion – Have you thought of everything?
26th October 2018
For any home-grown UK business, the decision to expand...
GDPR update – what’s next?
22nd October 2018
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) was the...
M&A top tips for tech companies
3rd October 2018
In the first of this two part blog series James Kitching...
Coffin Mew advises the shareholders of DV02 Limited on their sale to Daisy Group
26th September 2018
Coffin Mew recently advised the shareholders of DV02...
What do HMRC’s recently published statistics tell us about current trends for employee share schemes?
6th August 2018
On 12 July 2018, HMRC released their annual report for...
Congratulations to our highly commended lawyer of the year Hayley Bevis
8th June 2018
We are delighted to announce that our Partner and Head of...
Event – 13 March – Winter Manufacturing Business Leaders’ Breakfast Forum
7th February 2018
Please join us, along with our co-hosts NatWest and Grant...