Solicitor - Commercial
What’s your role?
I am a Solicitor in the Commercial team and have completed seats in the Corporate, Employment and Dispute Resolution departments. I advise on a range of commercial matters and frequently on those that have an intellectual property element to them and need a more scientific and technical understanding. I have a real interest in technology and have focused both academically and in practice on contracts, intellectual property, and competition law.
While completing a degree in chemistry, I decided a career in the laboratory wasn’t for me and chose to pursue law. I obtained a Bachelor’s degree in law and a Master’s degree in International Legal Practice, focusing on commercial matters in my studies. My dissertation was on the balance between the protection of commercial interests and the freedom of the Internet, which involved considering unresolved questions on the application of intellectual property law to the Internet and modern technology.
I then spent over two years working as the sole legal advisor in a civil engineering company and helped the directors with the day-to-day running of the business. Some of the work I carried out included:
- successfully defending the company from two employment claims;
- successfully defending the company from numerous claims from energy providers;
- obtaining judgment against customers refusing to pay; and
- updating the contractual process and contract terms.
I gained valuable experience working on in-house legal matters and on instructing solicitors and counsel from the client’s perspective.
Some work I have carried out.
- Drafting contract terms for science equipment with a sale value of £1.5m.
- Assisting with corporate transactions with an importance on contracts, particularly those involving intellectual property and information technology elements.
- Drafting consumer-friendly contracts.
- Drafting contract terms with international suppliers.
- Successfully negotiating a significant settlement (six-figures) with a major bank for a mis-sold product.
- Successfully negotiating reimbursement of all fees paid to a ‘Big Four’ accountancy firm for negligent work.
- Intellectual Property
Which five words best describe you?
Three things we didn't know about you?
- I have been a SCUBA diver since my twelfth birthday and accumulated over 100 dives.
- I am learning to code in Python.
- I am an avid fan of slow cooking.
Myself and my business partner went into your Portsmouth branch this week so we could sit down and sort out all the contracts we need for our new translation company we are about to launch. We can’t thank Andrew Jerrard enough. He is fantastic and knew exactly what it was we needed legally! He made us feel welcome, and it was a very friendly atmosphere and Andrew made us feel right at home! We are glad we have picked Coffin Mew as our solicitors and we couldn’t be happier with the customer service we received! So thank you.