Join Our Team
Our lawyers and support professionals promote and uphold the highest professional standards, for us that means:
- Being passionate about exceptional service delivery
- Being energised by the challenge to perform at our very best for our clients and our colleagues
- Being committed to learning new skills and developing our capabilities
- Proactively seeking out and seizing opportunities to make a difference to our clients and our business, no matter what level we are at and no matter what role we perform
Everyone can make an impact in our modern, forward thinking, growing business. This is what we stand for.
A clean and bright working environment
Staff room facilities
Modern client areas
Use the drop downs below to find out more about working at Coffin Mew
Culture & Values
We seek to promote and develop an entrepreneurial culture, supported by a culture of excellence and a strong sense of belonging and engagement amongst all of our people.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment for all of our current and prospective employees. We recognise and value individual differences and seek to retain and recruit talented individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Open and regular communication with our staff is fundamental to our culture. We ensure:
- all staff know and understand the firm’s vision, values (core and brand) and strategic plans and understand how they play a part in achieving the firm’s goals
- all Coffin Mew staff receive timely and relevant information about the development of the firm, its successes and initiatives (both new and those in progress)
- we engage with a wide group of staff in the development of our internal communications processes
- we use internal communications as an effective feedback forum within the business
- we are open and inclusive and we promote a culture of challenge and support
We’re proud of our culture; it’s why we stand out as a law firm that does things differently – Together we are Coffin Mew.
How we manage our business
In 2016, Coffin Mew were ranked eighth in The Lawyer UK 200 list of best managed law firms in the UK over the past three years.
Our Management Board comprises our Managing Partner, Chairman, three Equity Partners, Finance and Technology Director. As our Board stands currently its composition is more than 50% female, reflecting the importance our firm places on aspiration and opportunity for all.
Our senior operations team also includes Heads of IT, Marketing and Business Development.
We have created a lean management structure, led by Miles Brown, Managing Partner, with a team of talented operational professionals from leading professional service firm backgrounds, providing expertise in developing the strategic direction of the firm and also giving day to day support to the operational management of each of our 12 teams. This structure has freed up Partners and lawyers to focus on delivering excellent client service.
We ensure our business is financially robust and well capitalised to enable us to make key investments for the future: in talented new hires; new technology; modern prestigious premises and working environments, as well as ensuring our core growth areas are well supported in terms of marketing and business development resources; and that our people are trained and developed by leading experts in their field.
Interested in working for Coffin Mew?
We prefer candidates to approach us directly as opposed to via a third party.
Applying for a specific vacancy
To view our current vacancies, please click here.
Making a speculative application
If there is no specific vacancy that matches your requirements, you can register your CV for future positions here.
Setting up a Job Alert
If you would like to receive updates on our current vacancies, please join our LinkedIn talent community.
Our commitment to you
We are fair, legal and ethical in our resource planning and recruitment procedures, and actively promote diversity and inclusion within the workplace.
We will treat the information you provide in the strictest confidence and store it securely. Your application will only be seen by those involved in the recruitment process.
We deliver a high standard of candidate experience, with timely communication during the recruitment process, including feedback for all those interviewed.
We regularly review our recruitment procedures with feedback from all those involved in the process, including candidates.
We commit to keeping up-to-date in recruitment/resourcing best practice in order to improve our processes and the expertise of our staff involved in the recruitment process.
Regardless of the outcome of your application, we aim for you to have had an excellent candidate experience.
Investing in our People
At Coffin Mew, we are committed to investing in our people.
Our strategic focus is around three core pillars: growth, productivity and client excellence. In order to achieve this, the firm has recognised that it needs to continue to build its capabilities in terms of the quality of client service, commerciality, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, and Business Development as well as the core operational skill sets required to operate at the top of our game in a professional services environment.
It is the policy of the firm to ensure that all our staff are competent to perform all tasks for which they are responsible and that staff are developed in a manner which is appropriate for a forward looking professional service firm.
Our approach is to invest in leading edge learning and development programmes reflecting our forward looking approach to building the capabilities of our professionals across the firm and to truly differentiate our drive to deliver exceptional levels of client service and client experience
In order to achieve this, the firm has recognised that it needs to build its capability in terms of the quality of client service, commerciality, innovation and BD/entrepreneurial spirit, as well as the core operational skill sets required to operate effectively in a professional services environment.
Some recent examples of our learning and development programmes are:
- Commerciality development programme for all lawyers and senior operations staff, facilitated by Meridian West
- Operational Management Training Programme to all our staff who manage or supervise others
- Associate Solicitors’ Aspire programme
- At senior management level we provide Masterclasses in leadership and entrepreneurial skills for those who take a strategic role in the firm, to help them deal with the intricate challenges they face.
- Excellence in client service programmes for all staff
- Extensive programme for leading edge Business Development training
- Lunch and learn sessions across a range of business development, marketing, IT, Finance and HR topics
- We also have a wide variety of mandatory and compliance training for all
We will continue to evolve our learning opportunities during 2017, to ensure we give our people the tools and information they need to excel in their roles.
Plans for Growth
Our strategy for driving the business further forward has been, and continues to be, long-term sustainability and focused investment in our core service offering and infrastructure.
Nick Gross, Chairman
The firm’s full service model continues to serve us well, enabling us to achieve underlying growth of more than 22% on our core services over the last two years.
The firm is entering a new phase of growth and ambition following our merger with Charles Lucas & Marshall in March 2017. The merger reflected our desire to not only expand organically, but also through strategic by acquisitions and mergers with businesses that fit with our aspirations and culture, and we intend to carry out further mergers over the next few years. A number of top level strategic appointments have also been made and more are in the pipeline. We have many very talented legal and operational teams with many of our teams lauded as specialists in the key legal directories and some gaining awards for their levels of service excellence.
We opened our 5th office in Brighton in May 2015 as part of our strategy to develop our geographical reach to support our vision to become the leading South Coast law firm in terms of our reputation for quality of client service and the quality of our talented professionals. Brighton is one of the fastest growing cities in the South East and as the home to many fast growing tech businesses and with a thriving cultural scene it was a logical next step for our growth strategy. Following the merger, we have expanded our geographic reach even further, with offices in Swindon, Wantage, Newbury, Southampton, Gosport, Portsmouth and London.
New Technology Investments
No matter which of our offices you work in, our people are networked into a sophisticated infrastructure using Cloud based technology designed to help us operate efficiently as one firm. We continually review the technology we use in our business, to make the systems smarter, faster, secure and more efficient.
We were one of the first law firms to truly align lawyers pay to performance and not to PQE, supporting the development of our performance driven, entrepreneurial, meritocratic culture. As well as a competitive salary and eligibility to be considered for individual performance related bonuses, we also offer a range of attractive benefits which include the following:
- Basic annual holiday entitlement of 25 days for support staff, 27 days for lawyers and senior operations roles and 30 days for senior associates and partners
- Opportunity to buy or sell holiday up to a maximum of three days
- Membership of a Group Personal Pension Scheme with generous matched contributions and an ability to enhance contributions through a salary exchange scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life Assurance (multiple of three times salary)
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Professional subscriptions paid
- Child care voucher scheme.
- Relocation allowance (if applicable)
- Free car parking for lawyers and senior operations staff (subject to availability)
- Recruitment bounty scheme
- Free eye tests and contributions towards glasses
We take a leading edge approach to reward at Partner level with an all Equity Model, creating an attractive market competitive proposition for current and future members; and recognising both individual performance as well as shareholders’ investment return objectives.
We offer a wide range of activities that you can get involved in outside of work. There is something for everyone. Taking part gives you the opportunity to get to know people outside your immediate team.
We are well placed for social gatherings and there is a sense of community both within the firm and in the regional business world around us. Here are some of the opportunities to be involved:
- Clover – Coffin Mew’s band – winners of national competition Law Rocks 2014 and 2015 and winners of Solent Rocks 2015
- Football team networking events
- Netball team networking events
- Charitable running events
- Networking quizzes
- Rose Road Triathlon
We think it’s very important to create opportunities for the whole firm to come together to celebrate successes and have fun together. Here are some of our recent all staff events:
- Christmas black-tie event
- End of year success event at Goodwood Racecourse
- Staff quiz
- Summer hog roast
There are major differences between London and regional firms which govern your day to day working life. Surroundings are important and we take a different view on the design of our offices to make them more approachable and accessible for both staff and clients. Our Managing Partner and Chairman both sit at desks in an open-plan office with the rest of the staff, rather than being boxed away in offices.
Being less bureaucratic offers greater opportunities for our staff. In a smaller firm, you quickly find your feet and build good connections and networks which speed up your climb of the career ladder. We are able to spot talent, fast-track career opportunities for those who are ambitious, and provide opportunities to make a difference within the firm.
We work here!
Coffin Mew is a people business with a real focus on achieving the outcomes clients need. I was impressed by their innovating spirit and commitment to investing in staff development and that was something I wanted to be part of.
Mark O’ Halloran, Partner – Commercial Services
Coffin Mew offered a lovely working culture that I was keen to be a part of and a friendly team with a depth of skills and knowledge across the firm to draw from.
Amy Trench, Solicitor – Family
Coffin Mew’s approach of ‘challenge and support’ allows me to fully develop myself in my role, whilst knowing that I can always call on my colleagues for advice or additional resources.
Cathy Kirby, Head of ICT