Join our team
Our mission is all about bringing the best people and innovation together to deliver great results for every client, and a big part of this is welcoming and developing the brightest talent. Whether you are an experienced professional, trainee or graduate, our friendly team can help guide you towards a successful career in the legal sector at Coffin Mew.
Why join us?
- Coffin Mew has recently risen an amazing 25 places in The Lawyer UK 200 2018 list and saw us named “star performers” in the South East for growth.
- Following our recent growth, our successful merger in 2017 and moving to larger offices in both London and Brighton in 2018, The Business Magazine named us the fastest growing law firm in the South in 2018.
- We were recently shortlisted for Law Firm of the Year (Medium) at the Law Society Excellence Awards 2019 for the second year running.
- We are recognised as a top employer in the Lex 100 student guide scoring highly for: confidence you’ll be kept on, friendly firm, client contact and work/life balance.
- Our expert teams are consistently ranked in prestigious legal directories the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners UK.
- You’ll become a part of our open, forward thinking and modern culture, and join our talented staff.
Use the drop downs below to find out more about working at Coffin Mew:
Culture & staff
We seek to promote and develop an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture, underpinned by a restless desire to improve and a strong sense of belonging and engagement amongst all of our people.
Transparency is fundamental to our culture, thus we ensure:
- All staff know and understand the firm’s vision, values and strategic plans, and understand how they play a part in achieving the firm’s goals;
- All Coffin Mew staff receive timely and relevant information about the development of the firm, it’s successes and initiatives;
- We engage with a wide group of staff in the development of our internal communications processes;We use internal communications as an effective feedback forum within the business and;
- We are open and inclusive, promoting a culture of challenge and support.
In line with this focus on transparency, all of our offices, where possible, are open plan. This means that no member of staff, including the CEO and Chairman, are boxed away in private offices. We believe that this accessibility is vital to a positive and collaborative working environment.
We’re proud of our culture; it’s what sets us apart as a law firm that does things differently – together we are Coffin Mew.
How we manage our business
Our Management Board is comprised of our CEO, Chairman, four Partners, and our Operational Directors (HR, Technology and Finance). As our Board currently stands, its composition is one third female, and 50% of our senior roles are held by women, reflecting the importance our firm places on aspiration and opportunity for all.
Our lean management structure, led by CEO Miles Brown, delegates the strategic and operational concerns of the firm to the Management Board, allowing our partners and lawyers to focus their efforts on delivering excellent client service.
Interested in working for Coffin Mew?
Our commitment to you
We are fair, legal and ethical in our resource planning and recruitment procedures, and actively promote diversity and inclusion with the workplace.
We will treat the information you provide in the strictest of confidence and store it securely. Your application will only be seen by those involved in the recruitment process.
We deliver a high standard of candidate experience, with timely communication during the recruitment process including feedback to all those interviewed.
How to apply
To view our current vacancies, please click here. This page will also enable you to register your CV for future positions, if there is no specific vacancy that matches your requirements.
Get in touch
If you would like to have an informal, confidential and non-committal conversation before submitting an application, please contact our recruitment manager, Brandon Du’chesne.
Investing in our people
At Coffin Mew, we recognise that people are the foundation of our success, and we are committed to being a Firm which attracts, engages, develops and retains the best people.
We understand that in order for us to achieve our strategic goals and uphold our values, we must invest in the continuous development of our staff.
We believe that concern for our people is essential to an effective business environment, and we have developed a “Best People Deal”, where we promise to:
- Invest in the development of your capabilities to give you the skills and confidence to deliver great results for every client.
- Provide you with frequent and honest feedback about your performance, highlighting areas for improvement and development.
- Provide the space for you to explore how you can deliver value to clients in faster and more efficient ways.
- Reward strong performance with a choice of additional reward options.
- Offer an agile working environment which values output and client delight over work location.
- Provide and invest adequately in new technology to enable efficiency and productivity.
- Create flexible career paths and working patterns so you can realise your potential, regardless of personal circumstances.
- Value and reward positive attitudes and behaviours that align with our Core Values.
- Maintain a culture and workplace which promotes engagement, productivity and excellence, as well as good health and wellbeing.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment for all of our current and prospective employees. We recognise and value individual differences and seek to retain the talented individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds.
We were one of the first law firms to truly align lawyers’ pay to performance and not to PQE, supporting the development of our performance driven, entrepreneurial, meritocratic culture.
As well as a competitive salary and discretionary performance-related bonuses, we offer an extensive and competitive reward package, which includes:
- Holidays above statutory level, including holiday buy & sell scheme and birthday day off
- Pension contribution above statutory level, which increases with length of service
- Flexible/agile working options, including phased return to work options
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Company sick pay above Statutory Sick Pay
- Maternity and paternity provision above statutory level.
We are committed to improving the market competitiveness of our reward offering in a way that responds to individual preferences whilst supporting and incentivising engagement, productivity, excellence and wellbeing.
Privacy notice & note to recruitment agencies
Privacy notice for job applicants
It is important that any and all job applicants understand how we collect and use their personal information. You can read our full Privacy Notice for Job Applicants here.
Note to recruitment agencies
While we always look to engage with applicants directly, we do work with a select number of third party recruitment agencies on a preferred supplier arrangement basis. All agencies, regardless of their existing relationship with us, should carefully read the following Note to Recruitment Agencies.